I promised you dessert, and here it is. This parfait-like dessert, which went over quite well I must say, was loosely based on strawberry shortcake. However, the strawberries were soaked in amaretto and the whipped cream was homemade, and therefore the layers did not say separate. It still tasted great, though.
Instead of using a shortcake base, I crumbled a couple buttery tea cookies into each glass. The particular ones I used are Persian and shortbread-like.
The strawberries, which had been picked fresh that morning at Larriland Farm, a lovely little farm in Woodbine, Maryland where they let you pick your own fruits and vegetables – essentially paying them to do work they would otherwise pay migrant workers to do. I marinated the strawberries in amaretto and sugar for about a half hour before I assembled the desserts.
Finally, I made the whipped cream. I have never made whipped cream before, and it is not particularly easy. I just couldn’t get it to set, even though I chilled the bowl and whisk beforehand. When it started to form peaks, I added a tablespoon of confectioner’s sugar and a teaspoon of amaretto to match the flavor in the strawberries.
To assemble the parfaits, I started with the crumbled cookies, then added a little whipped cream, then the strawberries, then the rest of the whipped cream. I sprinkled more cookies on top, and then garnished with a fresh strawberry and a square of 86% dark chocolate.
- fresh strawberries, a couple of handfuls per person, washed, hulled, and sliced
- 1/4 cup amaretto
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp amaretto
- 8 cookies
- 4 fresh strawberries
- 4 squares high quality chocolate
- Mix sliced strawberries with 1/4 cup amaretto and 1/4 cup sugar in a medium mixing bowl and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare the whipped cream. Whisk heavy cream in a chilled mixing bowl until peaks start to form. Then add 1 tbsp confectioner’s sugar and 1 tsp amaretto. Continue to whisk until it begins to firm up. Do not over-whisk. Chill until ready to assemble.
- When ready to assemble, crumble about 1 and a half cookies into the bottom of each of 4 parfait glasses. Add a heaping teaspoon of whipped cream. Divide the strawberries among the glasses. Top with the remaining whipped cream. Garnish with a fresh strawberries and chocolate squares.